2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive, a real shocker!

Artiklar, reportage och nyheter, gamla som nya, för den kulturella kompetensens bevarande inom Mercedesvärlden!
André MBSCA
Site Admin
Site Admin

2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive, a real shocker!

Postby André MBSCA » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 15:05

2013 Mar 7 - Alex Lloyd

2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive,
a real shocker: Motoramic Drives

When you’re told you will be driving an electric car around
a racetrack, seldom do you get excited.

The steering is amazingly precise, light, and nimble. It’s worth noting that the weighty electric motors
and batteries add roughly 1,200 lbs. over the standard SLS AMG. That’s a lot, and you would think it
drastically kills performance. No doubt you can feel it, but a 1 cm reduction in the center of gravity,
due to the excess mass being fitted on the floor, helps offset the deficiency.

The weight does produce more body roll, and, with torque vectoring in Sport Plus mode, the back end
wants to slide incessantly. It does so, however, in a way that’s controllable — and a hell of a lot of fun.
But if that’s not your style, going back to Sport mode delivers the perfect neutral balance.
The ability to dramatically adjust the handling is amazing, modifying the car’s behavior to suit your
individual needs.

With such a surfeit of instant torque, you might think the throttle would be jerky and unpredictable.
It isn’t. Due to a longer drive ratio, powering the car up to 155 mph, the initial launch is not as
demonic as you’d expect, or perhaps even desire. Without question, it’s extremely rapid, but it’s not
as quick as the SLS Black Series — even though it has more total power — due to its hefty weight.

Despite this, the car’s performance on track is astonishing. Is it as good as its brutish combustion
engined twin? No. But it doesn’t have to be. The technology is fascinating and proves that EVs can
be dynamic and exciting to drive.

Amazing creations, such as the SLS Electric, are not immune to problems, however. As I exited a
hairpin bend, the whistle from the motor stopped. I ground to a halt, with warning lights illuminating
the dash in illegible German. From what little I could translate, it appeared to be a fault with the
batteries.

Despite the engineer’s obvious embarrassment, I showcased a grin from ear to ear.
After all, who drifts an EV? But, with the SLS Electric going on sale in June, problems like this are
worrying.

As I returned to the garage, other journalists looked on with a level of intrigue rarely detected.
The SLS Electric made an impression on everyone. It’s like glimpsing into the future, with its bold
colors, revolutionary technology, and mind-blowing price tag.

Yet despite the excellence of the SLS Electric Drive, it wouldn’t replace the traditional combustion
engine; but, if I had half a million bucks to blow, it would make a fabulous sidekick.
It’s not available in America, so I’d have to move to Europe, and I’d probably need some new
shoes to match its effervescent styling. I’d likely have to befriend Sir Elton John, too, but it’d all
be worthwhile.

After all, it’s an electric supercar that can drift.

It’s not that you won’t have fun – driving a Nissan Leaf on-track is enjoyable – but you’d rather be
driving something with more power than your typical airport rental. At the Paul Ricard circuit,
in southern France, I had the chance to drive an electric race car, the $522,000, 740-hp
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive, also known as the fastest production EV in the world.

As we arrived at the track, we were ushered into a decked-out pit lane garage, with cut-away cars
showcasing technology, and a beverage station against the back wall. Immediately a blue glow,
glistening in the Mediterranean sun, caught my attention.

Peering out of the garage, I saw a Mercedes SLS garnished in the most eye-catching, over-the-top,
ghastly chrome blue coloring. Next to it was an equally flamboyant aluminous yellow version.
The Day-Glo colors typically not seen on vehicles outside Sir Elton John's garage are just the
beginning of what make these cars unlike anything else in the world.

The SLS stands as Mercedes’ flagship model, boasting super-car performance, aggressive styling,
and a price tag fitting only the wealthiest of speed freaks; when you add AMG to the title,
these attributes only heighten. Unlike other supercars, these were attached to 22kW power outlets,
readying for a select group to sample their revolutionary bite.

What makes them incredible? For starters, they have four electric motors – each powering a
separate wheel, a unique set-up in the world of electric cars. This makes the SLS Electric all-Wheel
drive, but its benefits run deeper. By powering the wheels independently, with magnet
synchronous motors, the torque can flow precisely to each corner. A button on the center console
chooses between three settings: Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus. Comfort is the least aggressive,
leaving the car with a healthy chunk of understeer. Sport provides more power to the outside
wheels during cornering to create a neutral balance, whereas Sport Plus delivers the most
aggressive torque vectoring, turning the car into a tire-smoking drift-machine.

As I readied to climb into the bright yellow gullwing, an AMG engineer read the spec sheet out:
“740 horsepower, 738 foot-pounds of torque, zero to 62 mph in 3.9 seconds. This is the most
technologically advanced electric vehicle ever made,” he said. “With today’s capabilities, you
cannot achieve more.”

Color me intrigued.

As I fastened my seat belt and adjusted the seat position, the AMG engineer jumped in the
passenger seat. He began explaining how closely they worked with the Mercedes Formula One
engineers, given their experience with batteries used in the team’s KERS system.

The high-voltage batteries consist of 12 modules, each with 72 lithium-ion cells.
Regeneration occurs during deceleration, but the rate can be increased or decreased by clicking
the paddle shifters behind the suede-wrapped steering wheel.

Batteries delivering this much power need an equally impressive cooling system.
In the SLS Electric, two low-temperature cooling circuits ensure the conditions remain optimum.
With a three-phase, 22-kilowatt charging system, the 60 kWh batteries can be charged in just
three hours. With a normal plug, it takes around 20 hours.
A full charge can take the SLS 155 miles.

Having become more familiar with the mechanics of the SLS Electric, I was ready to hit the asphalt.
An AMG button on the center console reduces power, responsiveness, and generally makes the car
docile. Like the torque-vectoring button, there are three settings: Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus.
We started out in Comfort.

With an eerie silence (there is a button that makes fake engine noise if you prefer), we pull onto
the track. You have to press the throttle hard and it feels remarkably calm (and slow). But that is
exactly what you want in Comfort mode: a car that cruises effortlessly in day-to-day traffic.
After a couple of laps, the AMG engineer looks at me with a smile and says, “You ready?”

“Indeed I am,” I reply, as he presses the button, skipping Sport mode altogether, moving straight
to Sport Plus and igniting the full muscle of the SLS Electric.

Immediately the car sprung to life, life a giant swordfish fighting a tourist's hook.
The entire 748 ft-lbs of torque is available with every touch of the throttle. We turn the torque
vectoring system to Sport Plus too, engaging the most aggressive driving dynamics possible.
It was time to see what this astounding piece of engineering could do.

The steering is amazingly precise, light, and nimble. It’s worth noting that the weighty electric
motors and batteries add roughly 1,200 lbs. over the standard SLS AMG. That’s a lot, and you
would think it drastically kills performance. No doubt you can feel it, but a 1 cm reduction in
the center of gravity, due to the excess mass being fitted on the floor, helps offset the deficiency.

The weight does produce more body roll, and, with torque vectoring in Sport Plus mode,
the back end wants to slide incessantly. It does so, however, in a way that’s controllable —
and a hell of a lot of fun. But if that’s not your style, going back to Sport mode delivers the
perfect neutral balance. The ability to dramatically adjust the handling is amazing, modifying
the car’s behavior to suit your individual needs.

With such a surfeit of instant torque, you might think the throttle would be jerky and
unpredictable. It isn’t. Due to a longer drive ratio, powering the car up to 155 mph, the initial
launch is not as demonic as you’d expect, or perhaps even desire. Without question,
it’s extremely rapid, but it’s not as quick as the SLS Black Series — even though it has more
total power — due to its hefty weight.

Despite this, the car’s performance on track is astonishing. Is it as good as its brutish combustion
engined twin? No. But it doesn’t have to be. The technology is fascinating and proves that EVs
can be dynamic and exciting to drive.

Amazing creations, such as the SLS Electric, are not immune to problems, however.
As I exited a hairpin bend, the whistle from the motor stopped. I ground to a halt, with warning
lights illuminating the dash in illegible German. From what little I could translate, it appeared to
be a fault with the batteries.

Despite the engineer’s obvious embarrassment, I showcased a grin from ear to ear.
After all, who drifts an EV? But, with the SLS Electric going on sale in June,
problems like this are worrying.

As I returned to the garage, other journalists looked on with a level of intrigue rarely detected.
The SLS Electric made an impression on everyone. It’s like glimpsing into the future, with its
bold colors, revolutionary technology, and mind-blowing price tag.

Yet despite the excellence of the SLS Electric Drive, it wouldn’t replace the traditional combustion
engine; but, if I had half a million bucks to blow, it would make a fabulous sidekick. It’s not
available in America, so I’d have to move to Europe, and I’d probably need some new shoes to
match its effervescent styling. I’d likely have to befriend Sir Elton John, too, but it’d all be
worthwhile. After all, it’s an electric supercar that can drift.

Image Brain in motion! Image
André MBSCA, Site Admin

..Image...Image...Image......Image

Jovani
Nästan Guru
Nästan Guru

Re: 2014 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive, a real shocke

Postby Jovani » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 15:15

Å för den som vill veta hur den är att köra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElqf-F ... sA&index=2
-------------------
Hälsningar